Disclosure:

SundaySchoolLessonsforKids is a participant in the Amazon affiliate program and other advertising network programs, which provide means for site owners to earn advertising fees.

Jacob Gets Isaac's Blessings

Have you ever played tricks or jokes on your brother or sister or any of your family members? How did that make them feel? This time, we will study the story of Jacob and Esau when their father, Isaac was already old and his eyes were already so weak.

One day, Isaac called his favorite son, Esau, and told him that he is already old and do not know when he will die. So, he told Esau to go out and hunt some wild game. Afterward, he will cook it into a tasty dish and give it to Isaac. Then he will bestow his blessings on him.  Esau quickly went out to do what is asked of him.

Now, Rebekah, Isaac's wife heard what he told Esau. She immediately told her son, Jacob, about the conversation and instructed him to bring two young goats so she can prepare the tasty dish which he will bring to Isaac, that he may receive the blessing.

But Jacob told his mother that his brother Esau is hairy and he is not. His mother told him that she will take care of that. After preparing the dish, Rebekah took Esau's clothes and put them on Jacob. She also put goatskins on his hands and the smooth part of his neck. Then, off he went to Isaac's tent.

This is how the conversation between Isaac and Jacob went. (This can be done by two people who will role play as Jacob and Isaac).
Jacob: My father.
Isaac: Yes, my son. Who is it?
Jacob: I am Esau. I have done as you told me. Please sit up, eat some of this tasty dish so that you may give me your blessing.
Isaac: How did you find it so quickly, my son?
Jacob: The Lord your God gave me success.
Isaac: Come near so I can touch you, my son, to know whether you really are my son Esau or not.
(Jacob went close to Isaac who touched him)
Isaac: The voice is the voice of Jacob, but the hands are the hands of Esau. Are you really my son Esau?
Jacob: I am.
Isaac: My son, bring me some of your game to eat, so that I may give you my blessing.
(Jacob brought it to Isaac and he ate. He also gave some wine and he drank.)
Isaac: Come here, my son and kiss me.
(Jacob went and kissed him. Then Isaac blessed him.)

After Jacob received the blessing and left Isaac's tent, Esau arrived. When Esau went into his father's tent and learned that Jacob has acted deceitfully, he cried bitterly.  He held a grudge against Jacob and said to himself that he will kill his brother Jacob after his father dies.

This Bible story can be found in Genesis 27:1-42.


KIDS DISCUSSION
1. What did old Isaac tell his son Esau?
2. What did Rebekah tell his son Jacob?
3. How did Jacob disguise himself to get the blessing from Isaac?
4. How did Esau feel when he learned that Jacob got the blessing?
5. What can we learn from this story? (We should not tell lies. Lies and trickery can hurt other people)


MEMORY VERSE: Colossians 3:9
Do not lie to each other.

KIDS ACTIVITY:
1. Coloring pages: Jacob Gets Isaac's Blessings; Memory Verse
2. Review the story by letting the kids answer this Crossword puzzle.
3. Role playing.  Let the children do the role playing of the conversation between Isaac and Jacob.
4. Playing Disguise. Make an easy paper plate mask. This can be done at the beginning and the children can play "guess who" before telling the story of Jacob Gets Isaac's Blessings.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

dami mo palang blog chin...
i'm not a religious person but i do love kids and i am happy that i saw this blog, ganda and helpful - stressed out ang concept na gustong ituro plus added activities for kids to enjoy